Friday, October 24, 2008

Interview: Makeup Artist, Kristine Bruno




I had the pleasure of interviewing Kristine Bruno, a makeup artist, and I was able to ask her some questions regarding makeup & the application of it. I learned so many things myself!




1. How did you get involved with makeup? For as long as I can remember, I have always loved makeup! I remember when I was a little girl my parents had a friend whose wife wore makeup and everytime I saw her, she would put lipstick on me and I thought it was the best thing! Drinking and eating while I had my lipstick on was such an ordeal because I was so afraid of it coming off! I wanted it to stay on forever! After high school, I went to Cosmetology school and got my license and have been doing it professionally ever since!

2. What is your favorite thing about makeup? That it has the ability to totally transform the way someone looks! Its completely fascinating to me!

3. Do you do your own makeup everyday? How long does it take for you to do? I do not do my makeup everyday. I do it if I am going out, or working, but if I'm just running up to the grocery store or being lazy, I don't do it. When I do get all dolled up it takes me anywhere from 1-2 hours to do my makeup, depending on the look I'm doing.

4. What is the best colors to use if you are going to get your picture taken? I would say to make sure you are wearing the right color foundation and do NOT wear a foundation with a high SPF. Flash photography makes SPF reflect the light, making your face color look washed out. Also, photography in general washes you out, so it is important to wear a little more makeup than you would normally if you were going out. In the mirror it may look like too much, but when you get your pictures back you will be happy you did!

5. Do you use a certain kind of makeup with your applications? If so, what are your favorite brands? My favorite brand is MAC! I love their eyeshadows. They come in so many different colors and are highly pigmented. There are also a few things by other brands I love. One of my favorite non MAC products is Touche Eclat by YSL. It's great for darkness under your eyes! My favorite faux lashes are Ardell which you can find in just about any drug store.

6. Do you have any makeup tricks that you could give to my readers? Make sure you always use an eyeshadow base to make your shadow last longer and not crease! I like to use a light colored cream shadow so the powder shadow I am using grabs to the cream and stays put! You don't need a lot, apply enough to lightly cover your eyelid and up to your brow. Also, I like to do eye makeup before foundation because eyeshadow usually falls onto your cheeks and under your eyes and can be hard to remove, especially if your using dark colors. One more really important tip is to make sure your makeup is blended! For blending eyeshadow I like to use a blending brush and make light circular motions starting at my outer eye and keeping that same motion into my crease and back to the outer part of my eye. Repeat that a few times! And when you are applying a darker crease color, always start at the outer part of your eye, where you want it darkest and blend inward.

7. What is the number one thing you hear from girls getting their makeup done? (i.e: do they want something different? want to cover up their blemishes, etc) The number one thing is probably that they don't want to look too overdone and they want the makeup to look more natural.

8. Where can we locate you? How much is a makeup application? I am located in St. Petersburg, Florida, but do all on-location makeup and do travel. My prices range depending on what type of service you are looking for. I have prices listed for everything on my website so be sure to check it out if you are interested in booking with me!


Be sure to visit Kristine's website at: Fabulous Faces

No comments: