Wednesday, July 28, 2010

07.28.2010

Waking up is getting considerably harder to do, it's so crazy to me. I have Boot Camps at 6am and 7am on M/W/F. I have to set my alarm for 5am, 5:15am, 5:30am to try and roll out of bed.

Everyday I try to learn a little more about my Chiari Malformation to see if I can use the knowledge I have from my school courses in anatomy and the knowledge I have about the body and implement a structured system that works. So that's what I'm working on now. I have been in contact with people as well who are also battling this to see how they are living their lives. Surgery is an option -- however, since I'm newly diagnosed, I'd rather take some alternative approaches and use surgery as a last step because the 'decompression' surgery just horrifies me.

Danny and I signed up for a membership at a small gym facility where they have cardio equipment and are open 24-7. This is perfect for me because since I have become symptomatic and my motor skills and normal gait, etc are decreasing, I refuse to let my body just wilt away. So I've been using the cardio equipment to walk, and try to get in a faster pace walk every now and then. I'm honestly around 5-6 minutes of pure cardio before I need to take a rest. 1 year ago, I was running 5-6 miles! My parents think I need to get my "stamina" back up - so that's what I'm doing now. I can't lift any weights, so I'm utilizing resistance bands and focusing on an all-over body workout. I will also be dropping by the vitamin store to pick up some recommended supplements that will help with my memory loss and nuero issues.

I will be tracking my progress through it all. Thank you for taking the time to follow me on this journey. I'm looking at it as just another obstacle... must keep my head up.

Nutrition________________
2 eggs, scrambled
1 piece of turkey sausage
1 eggo (whole grain)

Snack size- carrot sticks

Salad, mixed greens
Grilled chicken breast topped
Balsalmic vinigarette
Piece of fruit (orange)

Celery sticks
Pudding

Small salad
Tilapia, 4oz
Steamed veggies


Fitness________________
20-25 minutes on ARC trainer
10 minutes (give or take) of resistance band work
10 minutes of Physical Therapy exercises (for 5 herniated discs in neck)
10 minutes of body resistance exercises (lunges, squats, push ups, etc)

*********************************************

It felt great to sweat - that's the TRUTH. I am so thankful that my body was cooperating with me today. I know that it won't always be like that... so I have to take advantage of the "good days". I'm unwinding now before going to teach Boot Camps. Looking forward to kicking my girl's butts and living vicariously through them!

No comments: