Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Life Altering

As I look back on my latest post written on June 11, 2010 - it all starts to come together. The weakness, the fatigue, depression, headaches, nausea, the loss of motor skills, falling, dropping things, numbness, feeling cold all the time... welcome to my life - Chiari.

In fact, Chiari has most likely been with me my entire life but it decided to absolutely deter my life through symptoms within the past 1-2 months and has caused me to look and demand for answers. Throughout the past couple of months, I have been told that Anemia (low-iron), stress, tension, and just a "bug" have been the cause of all of my symptoms. However, a trip to the walk-in clinic and a doctor prescribing a CT Scan has turned my life around.

In the midst of summer classes and overwhelming interest in my business, Chiari - you have not come at the most opportune time. The headaches feel like someone is pounding the back of my head -- I have to leave social settings and relax in dark rooms so that I don't get so nauseas that I vomit. The dark rooms and my symptoms have taken the light from my smile and replaced it with a fake one because who can honestly be truely happy when you feel this bad? I laugh, and it hurts worse. I cry, and it hurts worse. I have become somewhat apathetic to be honest. Casually smiling at something so funny that I would usually end up tearing up from.

I have only told close friends and family about my new friend, Chiari, because I don't want people to feel "bad" for me. I'm a strong person -- so I will get through this, but it's just a pretty significant obstacle. I can't exercise (which if you know me, is my life) -- so I live vicariously through my clients. I feel helpless at times when I start to think about it, because I'm just waiting for doctors to tell me my next move.

So far my timeline has looked like this:

Walk-in clinic --> CT Scan --> Referred to nuerologist & MRI --> Referred to nuerosurgeon

So that's where we stand at this moment. I assume a nuerosurgeon will show me some options and go through all of my symptoms. I have been writing them down daily so that I can show him that Chiari has incapitacted my life, from work to school, to social life and beyond.

I hope to find others who have the same diagnosis as I do. I can usually play on the computer for hours, and now with these headaches, I'm down to about 10-20 minutes max at a time.


No comments: